Alaska CHARR’s Education Department offers the most comprehensive alcohol server and food safety training programs in Alaska.  We have a network of over 40 instructors across the state to provide the best coverage and training possible.

Alaska CHARR introduced the alcohol server education to Alaska in 1984 and has remained the number one provider of alcohol server training ever since.  Alaska CHARR has designed Training for Alcohol Professionals (TAP) ® to meet the need of Alaska’s hospitality industry. If you live or work in rural Alaska and are interested in becoming a TAP® instructor for you area, please contact our Education Director.   

With statewide regulations mandating foodservice operations have a Certified Food Protection Manager on staff; Alaska CHARR has been hard at work extending our ServSafe training network to help you meet these requirements. We offer the full Certified Food Protection Manager 8 Hour course in Anchorage. 

For more information on our educational training programs contact the Alaska CHARR Office and speak to our Education Director, at 907-274-8133 or 800-478-2427 toll-free in Alaska.  




What is TAP®?

Training for Alcohol Professionals is a program that has been exclusively tap logodesigned to meet the needs of our local hospitality industry and adheres to the specific requirements set forth by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. The program consists of four main sections:

  1. Overview of Alcohol Law, Rights and Responsibilities
  2. Identifying Intoxication and Preventing  Drunkenness
  3. Proper Techniques for Checking Identification
  4. Dealing with Difficult Situations


TAP® Frequently Asked Questions

How long does the class last?
    Approximately 3 ½ hours

Is there a grace period on getting my card?
    Yes.  There is a 30 day grace period unless you are working in Anchorage, in which case there is no grace period.  You may not, however, let it expire and still work.

Is there a test?
    Yes. There is a test at the end of the class and you must receive an 85% to successfully pass the course. (87% for renewal testing

Is there a shorter class for renewals?
    The law allows those who have previously attended an alcohol server education course in Alaska to renew their certification by passing an exam to show an understanding of course subjects. The renewal needs to be done within 6 months of your original card expiring.

Who is required to take the class?
    Anyone involved in the sale of alcohol in any way, including servers, bartenders, security, managers, owners and retail clerks.

Do I have to be 21 years old to take the class?
   No. However you must be 21 to receive a TAP® certification. Students should try to make arrangements to attend a class after their 21st birthday.

Is my card from another state good in Alaska?
    No. Alcohol server training is state specific as state laws vary a great deal.

Do I have to wait to receive my certification card?
    No. Unlike other alcohol certification classes, which make you wait up to a month after completing class, your TAP® card is issued immediately upon successfully completing the certification exam.


Municipality of Anchorage
Outside of

For more information about our class offerings please click on the TAP® Schedules tab

Anyone who sells or serves alcohol; must have current TAP® card PRIOR to starting work.Certificate valid for 3 years


What is ServSafe®?

The ServSafe program is the most widely recognized food safety certification in the nation. The ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Program has been deemed valid, reliable, and legally defensible, as well as transferable between jurisdictions.

Food safety training is a commitment, a mindset and a smart business practice for every restaurant and foodservice operation in our industry. Food safety training doesn't end once a manager earns certification. That's where it begins - by implementing food safety practices on a daily basis and training staff in the food safety practices learned in the ServSafe program. The ServSafe program provides the resources to help keep food safety as an essential ingredient in every meal. ServSafe training is the one commitment to food safety implementation that we should all share every day.

Alaska CHARR provides the Certified Food Protection Manager Certification training in Anchorage.


ServSafe® Frequently Asked Questions

Who is required to have the Food Protection Manager Certification?
       Currently the DEC and MOA food codes require that an establishment with a risk type of 2 or 3 must have a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) on staff. The CFPM is the person in charge of the day to day activities. Please see the chart at the end of this section for additional information.

How long is the certification good for?
    Five years.

How long does the class last?
    The class is approximately 8 hours long with a 45-60 minute lunch break.

How many questions are on the exam?
    The exam contains 90 multiple choice questions. Students must make a 75% or better to successfully pass the course.

Is the exam open book?
    ServSafe® instructors are required to follow strict exam security procedures. The book and/or notes may not be used when taking the exam.

When will I know if I passed?
   The exams are secured and sent via UPS to the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation to be graded. It then takes about 12 business days to receive the results. In the meantime CHARR can provide proof of course completion to the state or municipal health department if needed.

Do I have to attend the class or can I just take the exam?
     For those who have previously attended the class and simply need to renew/update their certification, the exam is available in the CHARR office by appointment. The exam is taken on line and administered by one of our proctors. Instant results are obtained from the online exam. The ServSafe® Essentials 5th Edition text book can be provided for study and review.


Food Worker Card

Food Worker Card Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs the Food Worker Card?
        Anyone who handles food for the public in the state of Alaska must obtain a Food Worker Card within 30 days of employment. This list includes servers, bartenders, bussers, cooks, prep-cooks, dishwashers, meat cutters, deli workers, and licensed daycare food workers. Anyone who works with unpackaged food or food contact surfaces is required to have a card. If you are unsure whether or not you or your employees need this card, call the MOA Health Department at 343-4200 if you are working in Anchorage or if you are working outside of Anchorage contact the Food Safety and Sanitation Program Office at 1-87-SAFE-FOOD.

I live in the Municipality of Anchorage. Do I still need to get the Food Worker Card?
   Yes. All Food Workers in Alaska must obtain the Food Worker Card within 30 days of employment.

I did the ServSafe Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) training. Do I need to get this card too?
    No. The CFPM on staff will be the person expected to ensure compliance with the food worker card requirement and to maintain those records. They do not have to do the training. However it wouldn't hurt for them to familiarize themselves with the training program.

How do I get this card if I work in the Municipality of Anchorage?
Alaska CHARR does not provide food worker card training however:

You may call or visit the local Health Department at 343-4200 or 825 L Street, 3rd Floor, Anchorage, AK for more information.

Training provided by Anchorage CHARR: Municipality of Anchorage Department of Health Certification Test For Food Worker – In collaboration with the Department of Health Anchorage CHARR isoffering certification for the Anchorage area food workers test.

Description of Services provided by Anchorage CHARR:

With our guidance, students will have a good understanding of standard sanitation and safety practices in the restaurant and hospitality industry. Our test includes practices for employee health which is mandatory by the new food code regulation. Members receive a discounted price which includes test and food handling card.

Test Only - you can test at the Anchorage CHARR office located (610 "C" Street, B-1; 2nd floor) for more information call 646-4628. $5.00 for members per test and $10 for non-members per test. Testing is conducted Monday through Friday from 9am until 4:
30pm (closed from Noon to 1pm)

Classes & Test – 24-hour registration is required. Please call Anchorage CHARR to register. Classes are offered on Tuesday afternoon (1:30 to 3:30pm) & on Thursday morning (9:30 to 11:30am).

Off-site group classes for 5 people or more is available to our members, you can schedule by calling Karen at 646-4628 or 646-0807. On-site group classes are available for non-members. Cost for the class is $10 for members per student and $20 for non-members per student.

How do I get this card If I work outside the Municipality of Anchorage?
1) Outside of the municipality of Anchorage you may study and take the test online at

2) You may also order testing supplies from the DEC to take a written exam or to conduct in house training. Supplies can be ordered from Linda Adams at the DEC. Linda can be reached at 907-269-2008 and 1-87-safe-food.