1. Alaska CHARR fights for your rights as a business owner in the hospitality industry, through lobbying on the local, state and national levels. CHARR employs one of the state’s longest tenured, most well respected lobbyist on your behalf.
2. Alaska CHARR’s Workers Comp Program has returned over $1.3 million to our participating members. Just call your agent and tell them you want to be part of the Republic Indemnity & Alaska CHARR program.
3. Alaska CHARR supports Career & Technical Education in Alaska’s schools, like the highly acclaimed ProStart Culinary Arts & Management Program currently offered in 20 high schools across Alaska.
4. Alaska CHARR raises and distributes over $30 thousand dollars in Scholarships annually to fund the dreams of our future industry leaders.
5. The repeal of the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) saves every licensee at least $250.00 per year. Alaska CHARR had a major influence on the repeal of this tax, which began during the Civil War to fund the northern army.
10. The National Restaurant Association keeps you on top of public policy and legal matters, and wins victories on issues which affect the restaurant industry. Alaska CHARR meets with legislators in Washington DC to support the extensive list of legislative priorities from the National Restaurant Association including issues like business depreciation, minimum wage, obesity lawsuits, health insurance and social security reform. When you become a member of Alaska CHARR you also become a member of National Restaurant Association.
6. DEC Food Code Changes Alaska CHARR has led the effort to defend the industry from unreasonable regulations. We believe Alaska food service workers do a great job providing safe, healthy food and beverages to their customers.
7. ServSafe® Certified Food Protection Manager Certification is an 8 hour class required in Alaska for managers of many food service establishments. Classes are available in English, Spanish and Korean, and materials are available in additional languages upon request. CHARR members receive a 50% discount on the class fee!
8. Alaska CHARR has been providing the most widespread statewide alcohol server training program since 1984. There are currently 40 contract instructors for the Training for Alcohol Professionals (TAP) ® program to serve the needs of communities throughout the state. Discounted class rates available for Alaska CHARR members.
9. Alaska CHARR members will receive discounted rates on Credit Card processing though Heartland Payment Systems (HPS)